Thursday, May 5, 2016

Erin’s Coconut Banana Bread

One of the things I have picked back up in my free time is cooking. I love all kinds of cooking, including baking. So I’m hoping to share some recipes I’ve modified to fit Peace Corps Madagascar life. People always wonder what in the world I eat out here, and to be honest I eat pretty well! I have to be budget conscious since the tiny allowance we receive doesn’t go far, but I think I’ve got the hang of it. I also do get lazy some days so peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are sometimes a thing, but for the most part I enjoy using the ingredients I have access to so I can eat food that reminds me of home. 

So for my first recipe I’ll share my Coconut Banana Bread recipe I’ve managed to put together. It’s inspired by the Flour Bakery’s recipe I found on Food Network (here). Flour happens to be my favorite bakery in Boston! And although it’s an amazing recipe for plain banana bread, I have a feeling with the recipe I have below, you’ll never make just plain banana bread again.

When I make this here in Madagascar I like to use fresh banana varieties you can’t find in the states, fresh Madagascar vanilla, and I even shred my own coconut and make my own coconut cream, however I know back in the states or from wherever you may be reading this that you may not have access to those things. So just for you, I have made this with canned coconut and regular bananas and it still turns out delicious. Give it a try and let me know what you think!



Erin’s Coconut Banana Bread

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup coconut cream
1/3 cup oil
3 1/2 bananas, mashed
2 Tbsp yogurt (greek preferable)
1 tsp vanilla
1 c shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a small bowl. In a large bowl beat the sugar and eggs together for 10 minutes by hand (less I'm sure with a powered mixer, but you want them very light and foamy). Add in the coconut cream and beat for 1 minute again. Add the oil, beat again, add the yogurt, vanilla, and bananas. Slowly add in the flour and lastly add the shredded coconut. Depending on the pan the time will vary, but bake until a knife comes out clean. In a bundt pan in a horrible oven it's 30-45 minutes.




Above: An ambozo - the device I use to extract the coconut flesh
Right: the fabric coffee filter I use to extract the coconut cream